Cinnarizine tablets are grouped under the medical group of sedative antihistamine. Apart from that they are also called calcium channel blocker. The main indications of Cinnarizine tablets are for travel sickness, vertigo, Meniere’s disease and nausea and vomiting. You can get them from doctors and pharmacists in the form of tablets and taken according to your indication and dosage required.
Continue reading the article to know more about the side effects and major precautions to be taken before consuming the medication.
What are the side effects of Cinnarizine?
Just like any other drugs and medications, cinnarizine also possesses some mild to moderate side effects. However, not everyone taking the medications will show similar side effects. Here are some of the most common side effects reported by patients after taking cinnarizine.
These side effects happen only among 1 in 100 people with only mild levels of severity which usually goes off by itself and does not require any major medical intervention.
- Feeling sleepy and drowsy during the daytime.
- Feeling sick
- Indigestion problems
- Gaining weight during treatment duration
There are several serious side effects reported by patients however these are very rare in clinical practice. Below are some of the serious side effects reported;
- Having slow, twitching and jerky body movements, shaking and trembling gestures. This usually happens in patients who have been taking cinnarizine for quite a time.
- Complaining of joint pain commonly associated with skin rashes especially to body parts which are exposed to the sun like area at your arms, nose and cheeks.
- Having yellow discoloration of skin, the white areas of your eyes, having dark urine. These can be signs of you suffering from liver problems.
- Severe allergic reactions such as anaphylaxis which is usually manifested as having severe shortness of breath, severe body rashes and swelling of the tongue leading to airway obstruction.
If you have experienced any of these symptoms after taking Cinnarizine, do immediately consult a doctor for further evaluation and get yourself treated with the correct medications.
How to go about these side effects?
- Having indigestion problems – Practice taking the medication together with food to reduce the risk to your stomach and the gut. Try your best to avoid rich and spicy foods. If your symptoms do not go away after a few days, try consulting a doctor to get additional medicines for your problem.
- Gaining weight tremendously – Eat appropriately with the correct portion and practice regular exercises and workouts to keep your ideal body weight.
- Feeling sleepy and drowsy – Do not take the medication together with other sedative drugs or alcohol as they can worsen the side effects due to drug interactions. Also avoid doing any strenuous activities or use machines whenever you feel drowsy or sleepy.
- Feeling sick and lethargic – Consume adequate amounts of water to keep yourself hydrated. Signs of hydration will include peeing less with a concentrated amount and feeling extra thirsty.
What are some of the precautions before consuming?
- Avoid consuming alcohol together with the Cinnarizine as they cause extra sedation.
- Pregnancy and lactation. There is no adequate research or studies on this particular topic with Cinnarizine, so it is always better to consult a doctor to weigh the benefits and risks before consuming them during pregnancy and lactating period.
- Avoid driving after taking cinnarizine as you will feel sleepy and drowsy after taking them. Only drive if you feel fresh and able to focus on the road.
- If you have liver or kidney problems, cinnarizine should be used in caution. In some conditions, a dosage adjustment might be required for you to prevent further progression of disease.